The Catholic Women’s League of Canada is a national organization rooted in Gospel values calling its members to holiness through service to the people of God. Their goals are:
- To unite Catholic women of Canada
- To achieve individual and collective spiritual development
- Promote the teaching of the Catholic Church
- Exemplify the Christian ideal of home and family
- Protect the sanctity of human life
- Enhance the role of women in the church and society
- Recognize human dignity of all people everywhere
- Uphold and defend Christian education and values in the modern world
- Contribute to the understanding and growth of religious freedom, social justice, peace and harmony
Personal and Spiritual growth, friendship, fellowship and fun are valuable to the C.W.L. As such, the St. Patrick’s C.W.L meet on the first Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall, and host various faith-building activities, presentations, field trips, and multiple fund-raising events throughout the year. All women ages 18 and up are encouraged to join this organization.
Please contact the Parish Office to be put in touch with the CWL coordinator for more information.
12 Hours of Prayer for Palliative Care (click to view schedule of prayers)
Tuesday, May 5, 2020
This week, May 4-8, CWL National President Anne Marie Gorman is inviting all women of the Catholic Women’s League of Canada to pray for those who are in palliative care, their families, and caregivers.
The St. Patrick CWL executive in inviting you to join us in prayer for ONE hour this week to pray for this purpose. Our hope is that we will gather spiritually on Tuesday, May 5, to pray together in our own homes. As you know, Tuesday is our regular meeting day, so join us as we pray together.
Please choose one of the hours listed in the One Hour of Prayer attachment to call upon our Blessed Mother in one of her many titles to aid us with this great cause. If you choose to pray at that specific time, so much the better.
To help you center your hour of prayer, you will find prayers for the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary (with intentions for palliative care, and beatitudes for caregivers and those who minister to the sick and elderly) here.
Other prayers, reflections, videos, and information about palliative care are provided in Anne Marie Gorman’s link, click here.
So that we can record our prayers, I would appreciate it if you could let me know at email@example.com if you are participating and which prayer hour you chose.
“Each of us know that prayer is always heard by God and is always answered. How God chooses to answer our prayers is only God’s to know, but with confidence and patience, we ask for our country to acknowledge and support the need for improved palliative care services for some of the most vulnerable among us.”
—National President Anne-Marie Gorman
UPDATE: From the National Executive of the CWL: All 2020 conventions—diocesan, provincial and national are to be cancelled.
“I regret to inform you that the 2020 Diocesan Convention is the latest COVID-19 casualty. For information on this decision, please see https://calgarycwl.ca/conventions/calgary-conventions/2020/501-convention-cancelled
Our Diocesan Vice-President and Spiritual Development Chair Kathleen Winter has arranged a new feature for our website – a PRAYER CORNER at https://calgarycwl.ca/members/standing-committees/sd/prayer-corner which I strongly encourage you to visit for timely resources. Feel free to “star” your favorites. You can print them for ease of use if you wish or access them on the website as often as you wish.”
-May God bless you and keep you in the palm of His hand.
Webmaster for https://calgarycwl.ca
Share your questions or success stories – use our website Forum!’
Upcoming St. Patrick’s CWL Events:
- April 7 General Meeting at 7:30 p.m.: CANCELLED
Diocesan CWL News & Information
Janet MacPhee’s Past President report and the summary of the Round Table discussions have been added to the CWL Diocesan Winter Meeting page. Read them here: Diocesan Winter Meeting.
- Several items have been added to our Action – Live your Faith page, including
– a brief report on St. Peter’s Cookie Walk. Congratulations, St Peter’s!
– employment opportunities at Elizabeth House. Click here for details.
St. Mary’s Council Brooks is providing Comfort Care Bags for people in need at the local nursing homes.They hope to deliver them personally around March 12; click here for more details.
- “Care for our Common Home—6 part Series at FCJ Centre” by Marilou LeGeyt, a CWL member who worked at the Pastoral Centre and often reported on Social Justice issues at Calgary Regional CWL meetings. She also presented at the National Convention. Learn more about this study here.
Holy Spirit parish is offering free clinics for simple Income Tax Returns. Learn more here.
- June 17, 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of The Catholic Women’s League of Canada! We hope that you will enjoy this first issue of our centennial year, as it contains interesting and informative articles. You’ll find:
– a ‘Strategic Planning’ update on page 5,
– League history on page 6,
– IWIN Initiative on page 19. Read how St. Michael’s is leading an initiative to support human trafficking survivors in Calgary. Click to view IWIN Poster on Sexual Exploitation.
- Click to access the ‘Centennial 2020‘ issue. (Click the blue links in the Table of Contents to jump to a specific article. Other links in blue let you access resources or email the diocesan officers.)
For all diocesan news items, please visit the News page.
Regional Diocesan CWL News & Info
Click to download Reports and Announcements from Regional Meeting (Feb. 3, 2020)
Click to download Minutes from Regional Meeting (Feb. 3, 2020)
Click to download Calgary Regional Fees Remittance Form (as needed)
CWL Diocesan Convention 2020 The 2020 Diocesan Convention will be held May 1-3 at the Delta Hotels by Marriot (Calgary). Join your sisters across the diocese for a fun and rewarding experience. This year you have a choice to use either a paper form (downloadable from the website) or online registration, and to pay by cheque or by e-transfer. Register by March 25th for a chance to be reimbursed your Registration Fee and Convention Fee. Learn more here.
Remember to post on our Forum if you want to discuss carpooling, shared accommodation or dinner plans.